Frequently asked Questions
Have a Question? We’ve Got Answers
You can contact us via email, text, or call, but please expect a response from a member of our team within 24-48 hours. When we connect, our administrative assistant, Hanna Garza, will have a few questions for you to make sure that we are able to understand your needs. We will then schedule you for a short screening with our clinical intake coordinator, Rasley Easley. This screening usually lasts 10-15 minutes. It helps us talk about what to expect in your first appointment, answer any questions you have, and identify who in our team is the best fit for you. If we do not offer the services that you need, we can connect you with other therapists in the community that may be a better fit. Once your appointment is scheduled, you will receive an invitation to sign up for our client portal. You will have to review some documents (informed consent, our office policies, and payment information) and sign them electronically.
Your initial appointment is where you and your therapist will get to know each other better and decide together if you will fit together. At the start of the session, your therapist will break down the ways you can expect to spend your time together. Then, they will review with you the office policies and procedures, discuss confidentiality, and answer any questions that you might have about the therapy process. After you discuss all of this information and your questions are answered, your therapist will ask you some open-ended questions about yourself. For example, what brings you to therapy, how have things been for you recently, or if you have had therapy before. Then, you will discuss your goals and how often you would prefer to meet. They will also describe their training and how they approach therapy. At the end of the session, your therapist will ask how you felt during the session. You can let them know if you’d like to return. If you do, they will schedule the following session. If not, they will be able to provide you with any referrals for other therapists that might be a better fit for you.
You have the right to receive a “Good Faith Estimate” explaining how much your medical care will cost.
Under the law, health care providers need to give patients who don’t have insurance or who are not using insurance an estimate of the bill for medical items and services.
- You have the right to receive a Good Faith Estimate for the total expected cost of any non-emergency items or services. This includes related costs like medical tests, prescription drugs, equipment, and hospital fees.
- Make sure your health care provider gives you a Good Faith Estimate in writing at least 1 business day before your medical service or item. You can also ask your health care provider, and any other provider you choose, for a Good Faith Estimate before you schedule an item or service.
- If you receive a bill that is at least $400 more than your Good Faith Estimate, you can dispute the bill.
- Make sure to save a copy or picture of your Good Faith Estimate. For questions or more information about your right to a Good Faith Estimate, visit www.cms.gov/nosurprises or call 800-985-3059.
- It is very important that you feel comfortable with your therapist. Here are some questions recommended by the National Alliance on Mental Illness that can be helpful:
- Do they challenge you?
- Do they check in with you?
- Do they guide you to your goals?
- Do they help you learn?
- Do they show acceptance and compassion?
- Do they treat you as an equal?
All of our services are provided online. We use Google Meet and Zoom as platforms for our sessions. Insurance may not pay for online therapy so please make sure to verify your benefits or make arrangements with your assigned therapist.
- An initial 60-minute intake or first session appointment fees are $150-$175. Intake appointments include time for the following services: written assessments, a clinical interview, and consultation.
- After the initial session, sessions in person or online fees range from $150 to $175. A session is 55 minutes in length unless otherwise agreed upon with your therapist
We currently accept BCBSTX insurance. If we don’t accept your insurance, we can provide you with monthly receipts for you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement. Most health insurance policies provide some coverage for mental health treatment. If clients choose to use benefits, it is their responsibility to find out exactly what their mental health benefits include.
If a client files a claim with their insurance company for reimbursement, Prickly Pear Therapy and Training will work with the client to ensure that the insurance company has all of the information needed to process the claim. A “statement” (receipt, superbill, claim form) can be given to a client at the time of service rendered or on a recurring monthly schedule for “out-of-network” reimbursement.”
Reduced fee services are available on a limited basis upon request. At this time we do not have a sliding scale or reduced fee slots available.
Payment is due at the time of your services and we require that you have a current credit card saved in our system before your first appointment.
Prickly Pear Therapy and Training accepts payment in the following ways:
- Cash, exact change only.
- Checks payable to Serrata and Hurtado, INC can be written for services rendered at the time of the session. There is a $25 fee for returned checks.
- Credit card (Mastercard, Visa, American Express). Prickly Pear Therapy and Training requires that clients provide current and active credit card information for all clients.
- Company flexible spending account or health savings account debit cards (FSA and HSA).
We ask that you provide at least 24 hours’ notice when canceling or rescheduling an appointment or you are subject to a cancellation or “no show” $50 fee. Insurance companies do not provide reimbursement for canceled or missed sessions.
Are you interested in learning more about therapy but you’re feeling too nervous or anxious to seek help? We are here for you at your own pace and convenience. By filling out our form to request a consultation below, there are absolutely no requirements or commitments- your healing journey is just a conversation away with Prickly Pear.